Tips to Start Commercial Catfish Farming Guide for Beginners in India: Catfish is a hardy Fish. It can survive in any aquatic habitat. It is easy to cultivate or farm Catfish especially in Warm climatic conditions. Catfish Farming is easy and safest procedure of rearing Catfishes in tanks or channels. Catfish farming is the hugely profitable business with a minimum amount of investments. The cost of Catfish Farming setup is comparatively less than any other Farming Business. The Catfish gains weight within a short span of time. We can find various varieties of Catfishes that are available across the globe.
One can get the Catfish in various sizes and varies with the Catfish variety. We can get Catfishes at various sizes from small to large ones. In the recent times, Catfish Farming demand is increasing rapidly. In India, African Catfish is the famous and major cultivated Catfish Variety. If you wish to Start a Catfish Farming, it is a good idea as an Entrepreneur. In this post, we have come up with this article on Catfish Farming Guide for Beginners.
Benefits Of Catfish Farming
There are many Advantages of Catfish Farming. Some of them are said below.
- They are the good source of Minerals especially Mg (Magnesium).
- Catfishes are the good source of Vitamin B12 and various Proteins.
- In addition, they also act as a source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids and Omega 6 Fatty Acids.
- However, consult a dietician for Eating Catfishes as they contain some traces of Mercury Acid Contents.
CatFishes – Local Names: Catfishes have various names viz.
- Hindi – Sangtam or Sangot.
- Marathi – Nal Shingala.
- Marpu and Tedijalla in Telugu.
- Tamil- Kezhuthi.
- Kaari in Malayalam.
- Maguru in Odiya and Magur in Bengali.
- Kannada – Thede.
- Magur – Assamese.
List of Catfish Varieties
- Blue Catfish.
- Flathead Catfishes.
These are the 3 major catfish varieties in India. Among them, the Blue Catfish weighs high than other varieties.
Catfish Saccobranchus, Catfish Wallago attu, Catfish clarius, Mystus seenghala are the Zoological names of the Catfishes.
Characteristics Of Catfish Breeds
- The absence of Scales is the unique characteristic feature of the Catfishes.
- They have Adipose fin like spines on the dorsal and Pectoral fins. However, size of catfish varies with the varieties.
- Catfishes can weigh up to 100 kg even.
How To Start Catfish Farming
It is the foremost step in the procedure of Catfish Farming. One can collect the seeds of Catfishes from the nearest Fish Ponds or Nurseries. However, you can also get them at the Government Fisheries. The seeds of the Catfishes are also known as Catfish Seedlings.
Pond Selection For Catfish Farming
Pond selection acts as an important role for the Successful Catfish Farming. It is very important to consider Pond Selection before constructing the Catfish Farm.
- Construct the Catfish Pond in an open space for the direct contact of the Sunlight.
- Site selection is done in flood free area.
- Maintain proper sanitary conditions within and around the Catfish Pond.
- Make sure of the absence of holes in order to avoid the leakage of water from the Fish Pond.
- In the rainy season, maintain water depth between 5 to 6 feet.
- Rather than square Pond, construct an Oblong Pond.
- Make sure that the wild animals are away from the Catfish Pond.
Management Of Catfish Farming Pond
One can Start the Catfish Pond either in Old or in a New Water Pond. better to Start in the Old pond rather than in a new Pond. if you wish to Start Catfish Pond in a new Water Pond, use fertilizers, cow dung and lime are applied in order to make the fertile Fish Pond. but in Old Ponds, dry the old pond before you start to remove the excess clay and Aquatic Weeds. In Old Ponds also apply the Fertilizers and the lime. in order to protect the Fishes in the farm with predators cover the farm with a net. before Starting a Catfish Farm, stock the water 3 to 4 days before. Also, construct a fence around the pond.
Maintainance of CAtfish Fingerlings Density in the Pond
- Select the Catfishes Seedlings at the rate of 2500 to 3000 per Acre. Choose the Fishes at the size of 2 to 3.5 inches.
- Select the disease-free Catfish Fingerlings.
- Spray antifungal medicines at a period of 3 days of stocking in order to prevent the Fingerlings from various types of aquatic diseases.
- In addition, you can also raise Carp Fishes along with the Catwishes.
- However, you can also maintain the stocking density at 4,000 Seedlings per Acre.
- Mixed Fish Farming reduces the feed cost of the total Catfish Farming. In addition, you can also raise along with Tilapia Fish.
- The Catfishes are the good bottom fish feeders.
- Mixed Fish Farming decreases the quantity of ammonia gas from the Fish Pond.
- Ensure proper and healthy environment of all the Fish species in the Catfish Pond.
Feed Management in Catfish Farming Guide
Feeding is done at the rate of 205 to 25% of the total body weight of the catfishes. Catfishes are nocturnal in habitat that they feed during the night intervals. Supply the feed for the Catfishes twice a day. Try to increase the feed 5% to 6% for every 10 days of intervals. On an average, they attain a weight of 100 to 120 gram. Take the care during feeding as the insufficient feed may lead to the unhealthy of the Catfishes and weigh less. However, the excess feed may also lead to the increase in the cost of feed which is of no use.
Harvesting In Catfish Farming Pond
On the basis of the market demand, harvesting is done. It is done using nets of various sizes. Collect the large size fishes with big nets in order to handle and care properly. Collect either in the early morning or late evening which is beneficial. Excess sunlight incidence damages the health of the Catfishes which may also lead to the death sometimes.
Conclusion: This is the information on Catfish Farming Guide. We hope that this Catfish Farming Guide is helpful for you. If you have any doubts regarding this Catfish Farming Guide, then you can contact us via the comment section. For more information, click the link given below.